Hearing Impaired Resource Base
- QTOD – Mrs S Kimberley – Full Time
- QTOD – Mrs A Bevan – Tues/Thursdays
At Bournville School Hearing Impaired Resource Base we aim to ensure our students have daily access to a Teacher of the Deaf and have full access to the national curriculum. We believe that hearing impaired students have the right to access all areas of school life fully and equally.
We aim to ensure this access by:
- Enabling effective inclusion into mainstream.
- Embracing the philosophy of Total Communication.
- Working in partnership with pupil, parent, all school staff and outside agencies.
We strive for our students to achieve their future ambitions.
The Purpose and Aims of a Hearing Impaired Resource Base
- There are a range of different provisions for Hearing Impaired Pupils within Birmingham.
- A large percentage of children with a hearing impairment are taught in their local secondary school, where they are supported by the Specialist Sensory Support Service.
- Those students with a higher level of need / interventions attend Resource Bases that are attached to a mainstream school, such as ours, at Bournville School.
- Students with more complex needs requiring the highest level of support and possibly more of a bilingual approach attend specialist provisions, such as a School for the Deaf.
Bournville School Hearing Impaired Resource Base caters for students who have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) due to their hearing loss which results in them having language delay and processing difficulties.
The purpose of our Resource Base is to provide a team of specialist staff such as, Teachers of the Deaf, Specialist Teaching Assistants and specialist equipment that will help students to access improved listening environments to support them in acquiring language and enable them to communicate effectively. The Resource Base operates a Total Communication approach which offers a range of communication styles to meet each student’s communication needs and ensure best access to the National Curriculum. Members of the Resource Base Team share specialist knowledge and skills with mainstream colleagues, focusing on language development, particularly of their subject terminology, contributing to the effective teaching of HI pupils. Deaf Awareness Training is delivered by the Teacher of the Deaf to all colleagues and any new members of staff that join Bournville School during an academic year.